photoked

You could lose your spirit to the wind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Culling


I can take 1000+ images a day with maybe one battery charge. That's just ridiculous. It leads to a part of photography that I am not comfortable with. In fact, I struggle against it and always have. It can become so very disposable.

Something I have always loved about film is it's instant permanence. When you press the shutter, your image is burned in. All your mistakes, all your intentions, all your composition are pretty much done. If you buy prints, the lab alters them for you in terms of contrast, density and color saturation. You can do this yourself at home with a negative scanner and some editing software. This is what I have done for the past year or so since I began to chase light and create with lenses. Even that results in hundreds of images, sitting, waiting, wondering if they are forgotten.

I began to forget them.

I looked back today. I am going through hundreds of shots, looking for some submissions for a theme. Image organization or categorization was never as important as finding what was there in the emulsion. This is the part where I begin to think about asset management. This is where I need to make a change in my workflow, if I have one.

The best and foremost part of looking through hundreds of images, digital or analog? The delete button - hands down.

Now Playing: Prefuse 73 - point to b

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home