photoked

You could lose your spirit to the wind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Monday, February 05, 2007

Light-brites of Bombtitude

hmm, metal, screws, bakelite, eerie red glow, must be a bomb.

I'd say "Welcome to the culture of fear" but we're all so steeped in it that it hardly makes sense to proclaim any kind of arrival. We're here. Let's eat.

If that link doesn't work, my apologies. The story is about how Turner will pay $2M to "make amends" for their Cartoon Network-forged and approved (people, no one farts in broadcast companies without big-money people saying ok and running it by fact-checkers and squads of lawyers) Adult Swim advertising campaign. Marketing is salivating on parts of the phrase "no such thing as bad publicity" and Ted has a decent sized grin on his face because let's face it, it's chump change to him and it's been a significant story every time my Google homepage opens up and news falls out.

So ok, people got nervous. It's like one of the sheep making pidgeon noises though, not mountain lion growls. You know something's odd but not really threatening. I for one am wondering at what point does a bomb designer think it would be great to shove an explosive device into a lite-brite and display it for everyone and their mom to get a shot at finding and diffusing it. Sort of like trying to kill yourself by taking 6 baby aspirin. It's a fucking 'mooninite', people. Now you might say, most people don't watch that stupid show, how would they know? To which I would say:

1) No YOU"RE stupid, I like that show.
2) Talk to your kids, they will tell you about it. They may even tell you about their lives between commercials.
3) I'm irritated and can't organize my thoughts at this point.

Even better. Turner says "Here's $2M. Now are we cool?" and they will be cool. Sure, some damage was done in terms of time and shutdowns. I can't imagine how much it could suck in a city like Boston -are you guys still digging that giant tunnel over there? I hate 10 minutes of traffic in Denver and it's nothing compared to cities like Phoenix, Portland, San Fran, pick one...But here's the kicker, Turner is off the hook it seems and the two guys hired by the marketing company that contracts for Turner are STILL ON THE RACK. They pleaded not-guilty but the fucking charges are still there! WHAT? Am I the only person that sees a problem with this? If these guys, who are probably artists trying to work in the marketing world until they catch a break and enjoy some success on a better scale for widdling pieces of creativity into the machine for kindling, weren't hired to do this, they might have passed on the experience. Why does it seem like the company is running out on these guys, hands on their towels?

Now their bosses could be cool and supportive and they could live in good homes and have great coffees and go to art shows for their freinds and be really tied into a creative department that appreciates their efforts, blah blah blah. I don't know. I obviously don't know a lot except that I am pissed off that the smallest tier of this campaign is being held responsible for a nationwide effort through a huge company that has $2M to say "oh, sorry." If those two guys had $2M I bet they could smirk and pay for it all to go away but they don't. Otherwise they wouldn't have been paid to go out in the middle of the night and hang lite-brites around the city.

I appreciate the due dilligence in the name of safety. I understand that certain things must be questioned. I'm just saying let's not completely lose our sanity. If you do, I'd try looking for it behind the armoire...OF DESPAIR!

Just a little reality check people. and yes, I realize that people have hidden bombs in toys, I even saw "The Rock".

I shouldn't have said that. Carry on.

edited 2/5 to uncover the mystery sentences that I left out or forgot to finish. How do you people get through these things?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home